10 Ways to Be a Fun Mom this Summer
If you are like me, you want to be a fun mom, but it’s not always easy to let go and just have fun. Sometimes you have to be purposeful about it. Here are 10 ways to be a fun mom this summer!
Do you get so caught up in all the daily tasks and to-do lists and forget to just let it slide and have fun? I know I do that. Running a household can take all your time and energy. There is a list of chores and bills to pay. The kids need three meals a day and they are constantly making a mess that you have to stay on top of. Not to mention all the refereeing you have to do between siblings. It can be so hard to be fun and upbeat in the midst of endless demands on your time.
Sometimes our insecurities or fears can get in the way of being a fun mom too. I know how that is. However, I feel like I owe it to my kids to drop the insecurities and fight my fears so that I can be right there with them enjoying life.
I think it’s time we add being a fun mom to the top of the list. I think it is one of the most important ways to connect with our kids and show them how much we love and enjoy them. And isn’t that what we all want most? For our kids to be happy and know they are loved?
This is important all throughout the year, but when you have kids in school it can be difficult with homework and extra curricular activities. During the summer, you might be with your kids more often. Things are often more relaxed. Maybe you go on a vacation or two. This gives you more time to show off your fun mom skills!
So drop the lists, the insecurities, and the fear and live in the moment with your kids this summer!
10 Ways to be a Fun Mom this Summer
1. Get in the pool with your kids. Yes, they will still probably have fun with you sitting in a chair by the pool, but they will have so much more fun if you jump in with them. They will love it when you stand in the pool and catch them as they jump in. Or when you play pool games with them. Or when you dive under and sneak up on them when they least expect it. Don’t worry about your body. Your kids don’t care about how you look in your swimsuit. Model confidence for them and jump right in! Maybe even do a cannon ball!
2. Have an impromptu dance party. Turn on the music, crank up the volume and grab your kids. Let go of the stress and dance like only a fun mom can! Depending on the age of your kids, they may laugh at you. But you know what else? They will think you are awesome.
3. Play on the playground with them. Sometimes you need the break. Totally understandable. But occasionally jump up on that play structure and have some fun. Go down the slides. Show them your monkey bar skills. Swing as high as you can. I bet you your kids will get a real kick out of it.
4. Have a water balloon fight. How cool would your kids think you are if you filled a bunch of water balloons and invited them to a soak you with water? That is if they can catch you!
5. Jump on the trampoline. When your kids are jumping to their heart’s delight, get up there and jump with abandon too. This is sure to give you fun mom status.
6. Go on a roller coaster. Are you headed to an amusement park this summer? Don’t sit back and watch from the ground. Conquer your fears and get on that roller coaster with your family. You can do it! This will earn you huge fun mom cred!
7. Serve ice cream sundaes for dinner one night. Need I say more?
8. Play in the rain! Go outside with your kids and run and dance in the rain. Jump in puddles with them. Enjoy it! You and your kids will look back on this moment with great fondness.
9. Bake with your kids. Invite them to join you in the kitchen and bake cookies or a cake. Then let them eat more of it then you normally would.
10. Go on an adventure. Explore a new park, visit a museum or go geocaching. Explore the woods behind your house. The possibilities are endless.
There are so many more ways to have fun and enjoy your kids, but hopefully these ideas get you started on the path to becoming (or staying) a fun mom!
How do you keep up your fun mom status? I would love for you to share in the comments below.