We have been on a roll and cover kick here lately. It’s a simple and easy way for kids to practice math and literacy skills in a way that is like a game.
Kids can play independently or with a partner. This makes it great for math and literacy centers in the classroom, but can definitely be used at home too.
Fall Tree Roll and Cover Game
While children do this fall tree roll and cover activity, they will learn letters and numbers – depending on which option you choose to use.
While doing the alphabet version, children will learn letter recognition and even letter sounds, if you want them to. The number version is a fun way to learn number sense too.
It’s a fantastic way for kids to practice visual tracking and even develop fine motor skills!
As you can see, a simple activity like this can have a lot of great benefits. Better yet, kids are developing these skills while having fun!
Fall Math and Literacy Centers
This fall activity is super simple to set up. We love using acrylic fall leaves, but you can use any small fall leaf manipulative like mini erasers or confetti.
Even if you don’t have small leaf manipulatives, you can still do this activity with your kids. Just use fall colored craft pom poms. They work perfectly for this activity.
You will need to make your own dice for the alphabet version of the game. I use permanent marker to write letters on each side of a foam block. You can often get these in the $1 Spot at Target or at Dollar Tree.
The alphabet version of the fall tree roll and cover game has 6 letters on each printable tree. The first tree only has the letters a,b,c,d,e,f. This way you can make an alphabet dice with those letters on it.
As such, you will need an alphabet dice for each group of 6 letters. Once you make all 4 dice, you can use them again and again for all kinds of activities!
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you purchase through one my links, I may receive a small commission.
- Fall Roll and Cover Printables (button to download at the bottom of this post)
- Leaf manipulatives (or fall colored pom poms)
- Foam number dice
- Foam blocks
- Print the fall roll and cover printables.
- Make your own alphabet dice by using a permanent marker to write letters on each side of a foam block.
- Use foam number dice for the number version of this game.
To Play the Fall Tree Game
If playing independently:
- Children will roll the dice and cover the letter or number that corresponds to the one facing up on the dice.
- This continues until all of the letters or numbers on the tree are covered.
If playing with another person:
- Children will take turns rolling the dice and covering the corresponding letter or number on the fall tree.
- Each player will choose a color leaf and only use that color for the whole game.
- Once all of the letters or numbers on the tree are covered, the player with the most leaves or pom poms on the tree, wins!
If you want this to double as a craft, set this activity up like my apple tree letter matching activity. Kids love doing this and it is a great way to develop fine motor skills too!
I hope your kids enjoy this fun fall game!
More Printable Fall Trees and Leaves Activities!
The printable fall trees and leaves portion of the pack includes 10 activities and 150 pages of activities to engage your kids this fall!
The fall leaves bundle includes:
- Fall Tree Beginning Sounds Matching
- Fall Tree Roll and Cover Game (alphabet and numbers)
- Fall Tree Word Family Matching (Rhyming)
- Fall Tree Sight Word Building Activity
- Fall Leaves Letter Sounds Puzzles
- Fall Tree Number Matching (numbers 1-20)
- Fall Leaves Number Sense Puzzles (numbers 1-10) (two versions)
- Fall Tree Counting Mats (numbers 1-20)
- Fall Leaves Counting Clip Cards (numbers 1-10)
- Fall Tree Addition Mats (adding numbers to equal 2-12)