This fizzy rainbow science experiment just takes a few simple ingredients that you probably already have at home! This experiment is perfect for kids of all ages and is sure to bring some colorful fun to your day.
This baking soda experiment is sure to be a hit. Your kids will love watching all the different colors erupt in the baking soda!
Be sure to check out these Rainbow Science Experiments too!
Fizzy Rainbow Science Experiment Instructions
To get started, you’ll need the following supplies:
- Shallow container or tray
- Baking soda
- Food coloring (red, blue, green, and yellow)
1. Fill each cup or glass half full with vinegar.
2. Put a few squirts of the food coloring in the cups and mix with a spoon.
3. Fill up the tray with a layer of baking powder. Use a spoon to flatten out any chunks of baking soda.
4. Using a dropper, squirt out the colored baking soda mixture onto the tray. You’ll want to move quickly as the reaction will start happening immediately and you don’t want to miss any of the fun.
5. Watch as the vinegar and baking soda mixture react, causing a fizzy eruption. As the reaction slows down, you’ll see the colors start to blend together, creating a beautiful fizzy rainbow effect.
6. If you want to extend the fun, you can add more baking soda and food coloring to keep the reaction going.
Tips for this baking soda and vinegar experiment:
- This will stain, so put this on a tray or some kind of protective layer over your table.
- If you are not seeing a lot of bubbles, squeeze the mixture out of the droppers faster.
Fizzy Rainbow Science Experiment Video
How does this simple science activity work?
Not only is this experiment a blast to watch, but it also teaches us about chemical reactions and how different substances can interact with each other. The baking soda and the acid in the vinegar react when they interact with each other by trapping the carbon dioxide to form bubbles. The mix creates a liquid and a gas which become a foam.
Plus, it’s an opportunity to practice our observation and prediction skills as we try to predict what will happen next.
So gather your supplies and get ready to create your own fizzy rainbow. Happy experimenting!
Printable Rainbow Math & Literacy Pack
These rainbow theme math and literacy centers are perfect for preschool, pre-k and kindergarten. Your students will have a blast with these fun rainbow activities for your math and literacy stations, centers, or homeschool units!
More Science Fun
Grow a Rainbow with this fun science experiment! This is quick to setup and you just need markers, a paper towel and two cups of water!
Your kids will love this fun skittles rainbow activity! This also comes with free recording sheets to add to your lesson plans!
Your kids will love watching the flowers change color with this color changing flowers science experiment!
Looking more fun science experiments? Here are 30 fun science experiments your kids will love!