Roll and Cover the Shapes Alphabet Activity
This shapes alphabet activity is a fun addition to a preschool shapes theme. It is also an excellent way for toddlers to learn shapes and colors!
This week the ECE Team theme is shapes and I was a bit stumped with how to integrate shapes with an alphabet activity. After a bit of brainstorming, I came up with this really great roll and cover game that my preschooler had lots of fun with.
After he was done, I put away and the letter die and my toddler enjoyed a shapes and color matching puzzle. So if your child isn’t ready for a letter learning activity, this can easily be adapted!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- A piece of card stock paper. (Regular paper with work, but I like the added durability)
- Shape buttons
- A small foam cube or die (dice)
- Permanent marker
- Trace the shape buttons on the paper with the coordinating marker color. At first, I did this with a pencil and then went over it with a marker, but found it was much easier to just trace with the markers and then wipe the buttons off with a wet paper towel afterward.
- Pick 6 letters you want to use for this activity and write one letter on each side of a foam block with permanent marker (or cover a regular die with taped on pieces of paper).
- Write one of the 6 letters in each of the shapes you drew on the paper.
Shapes Alphabet Activity
I explained to my son that he needed to roll the die and then cover a shape with that letter written inside of it. He also needed to make sure to match up the correct shape and correct color button.
He had a great time with this! It was a fun way to add some additional critical thinking to an alphabet activity as well. I love that it was so simple to set up and that both of my kids were able to enjoy it!
Head over to my Alphabet Activities page for even more fun, hands-on letter learning ideas!
For even MORE ways to play with SHAPES in Early Childhood, please visit the activity suggestions from the #TeachECE team below:
Shiny Showy Shapes Alliteration Fun by Growing Book by Book
Shapes Preschool Theme Sand Writing Tray by Learning 2 Walk
Mixing Shapes with Our Bodies – Group Activity by Capri + 3
Shape Sensory Squish Bag by Still Playing School
Shape I Spy for Preschoolers: Free Printable by Life Over C’s
Exploring Shapes with Yarn by Tiny Tots Adventures
Playdough Shapes Building Challenge for Preschoolers by The Preschool Toolbox Blog
DIY Shapes Puzzle by Munchkins and Moms
Preschool Shape Hunt Activities by Fun-A-Day