This alphabet water sensory game is so much fun! While playing, my kids practiced letter recognition, learned letter sounds and developed fine motor skills.
My kids love playing with water so water sensory play is always something they get excited about. This activity was no exception. They pretty much thought it was amazing.
While playing we talked about the letter names and the sounds each letter makes. They also used our favorite fine motor tool set and got tons of fine motor practice!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Fill the shallow bin about half full with water.
- Add a bunch of alphabet beads to the water.
- Place the fine motor tools and small cups next to the bin.
Playing the Alphabet Water Sensory Game
To play the game, each child should take a cup and a fine motor tool. On the word “go” they should begin using the tool to pick up letter beads from the water sensory bin and place them in their cup. The first person to fill their cup wins!
Another way to play this game, is to call out a letter and each child will race to find that letter in the water, pick it up with the fine motor tools and place it in their cup. This continues for as long as you would like or they are willing to play.
My kids really enjoyed both versions of this game! My toddler doesn’t know the letters of the alphabet yet, so I helped her locate the letter and she picked it up and put it in the cup. My son had a great time doing this all on his own.
After the transferred all of the letters to the cup, they dumped them out on the table and counted them. It ended up being a great way for my four-year old to practice to counting to higher numbers.
Although we did this indoors, I know my kids would love to have more free rein with the water. This is definitely something we will be playing often this spring and summer. It would be a great way to have fun and cool down on a hot day!
Here are some more alphabet activities I think your kids will enjoy!
Check out these other activities that use fine motor tools!
- Matching Easter Eggs Sensory Bin from Life Over C’s
- Painting Sugar Letters from Still Playing School
- Fine Motor Long Vowel Activity from Learning 2 Walk
- Create CVC words using Fine Motor Tools from Adventures of Adam
- Pom Pom Color Match Game from Raising Little Superheroes
- Small Eraser Fine Motor Sort from Line upon Line Learning
- Plastic Egg Fine Motor Activity from Something 2 Offer
- Water Bead Pick Up Game from Play & Learn Every Day
- Bead Necklace Fine Motor Practice from Schooling a Monkey
- Intrinsic Hand Muscle Strengthening with Tongs from Sugar Aunts