We put together this list of fun and interesting facts that will amaze you! What is the national animal of Scotland? The answer will shock your kids! Clouds weigh how much? These interesting and fun facts cover a wide range of topics.
Our Favorite Fun Facts that will Amaze You
1. The unicorn is the national animal of Scotland.
2. The different colors of Froot Loops cereal all taste the same—they’re not individual flavors.
3. The Statue of Liberty was used as a lighthouse. It operated from 1886 to 1901. You could see the statue from 24 miles away. It closed down because it was too expensive.
4. Australia is wider than the moon. Australia’s diameter is about 600 km wider.
5. Per the greek words that Astronaut is derived from, it literally means “star sailor.”
6. Venus is the only planet to spin clockwise.
7. Some snails can sleep up to 3 years! But, they usually sleep a long time only in dry weather when there isn’t enough water to protect themselves.
8. You can’t hum while you’re pinching your nose.
9. You could fall to the center of the Earth in 19 minutes.
10. The smallest country in the world takes up .2 square miles: Vatican City.
11. Bats are the only mammal that can actually fly.
12. Octopuses have three hearts. They also have nine brains! Each tentacle has a mini-brain.
13. German chocolate cake doesn’t come from Germany. It was named for a person, Sam German, who created a type of baking chocolate for Baker’s in 1852.
14. Clouds can weigh over 1 million pounds!
15. Mt. Everest is the highest point on Earth at 29,000 feet tall. The deepest point is the Mariana Trench which is 36,000 feet deep.
16. Toilet paper in France is actually pink!
17. A dog’s sense of smell is around 1,000 to 100,000 times more sensitive than a human’s.
18. A sneeze can travel up to 100 mph!
19. Sharks do not have any bones. Their skeleton is made up of cartilage.
20. A garden snail has about 14,000 teeth. That’s kind of scary!
21. Sunlight takes eight minutes and 19 seconds to travel from the Sun to Earth.
22. A day on Mars lasts 24 hours, 39 minutes and 35 seconds.
23. 1 Day on Venus is 243 days on Earth! That’s a long day! It’s year at 225 Earth days is shorter than 1 day(1 planet rotation) on Venus!
24. The Olympics used to have Art competitions from 1912 until 1948.
25. Gatorade was invented at the University of Florida. And the name came from the their sports name, the Gators.
26. You weigh less on the moon than on Earth because of gravity.
27. Both volleyball and basketball were invented in Massachusetts.
28. We are one to two centimeters taller in the morning than at night.
29. Tug of War was an Olympic Sport between 1900 and 1920.
30. The heart of a shrimp is located in its head.
31. Abraham Lincoln was 6’4 tall. Back then, the average height for adult men in the U.S. was 5’6 which is 3 inches shorter than today. 6’4 was extremely tall back then!
32. The largest pumpkin in the world weighed over 2500 lbs!
33. Over 40 buildings in New York are so big that they have their own zip code.
34. Only 5% of the ocean has been charted and explored by humans.
35. A really thirsty camel can drink 50 gallons in 3 minutes! That’s a lot of water!
36. The first known speeding ticket went to Walter Arnold for going 8 mph in a 2 mph zone! Crazy fast!
37. Our feet consist of one quarter of the bones in the human body.
38. Hawaiian Pizza was invented in Canada. It was created in 1962 by Sam Panopoulos.
39. The Sun is so big, about 1 million Earths could fit inside of it.
40. Alaska has more coastline than the other 49 states combined.
41. Elephant’s are the only mammal that can’t jump.
42. There are about 2,000 thunderstorms occurring around the world at any given time.
43. Owls can’t move their eyeballs. It’s one of the reasons they turn their neck so far around.
44. Hippopotamus can run faster than humans. The fastest human, Usain Bolt, clocked in around 23 milers per hour and Hippos can run faster than 30 miles per hour!
45. There is no sound in space!
46. The Earth is not a perfect sphere. It bulges out around the equator some.
47. The opposite sides of a 6 sided dice always add up to 7!
48. Bats are the only mammals that can fly.
49. The state of Texas is larger than any country in Europe.
50. Walt Disney World resort is about the same size as San Francisco.
51. The Tyrannosaurus rex name comes from Greek and Latin words. It means Tyrant Lizard King!
52. Some of the larger carnivore dinosaurs, like the T-Rex, had hollow bones like birds do. Many believe this helped them be more agile.
53. Some dinosaurs replaced their teeth every few months to every few years like sharks do.
Bookmark this page and as we find more fun facts we’ll update this page!